Although it is not known what component of the grapes or raisins causes renal failure in dogs, the fact that grapes and raisins are fatal poisonous for dogs is for certain. 
Dogs that consumed grapes or raisins typically vomited within a few hours of ingestion. At this point, some dogs would stop eating, and develop diarrhea. The dogs often became lethargic and showed signs of abdominal pain. Medical evidence showed elevated levels of blood calcium, blood urea nitrogen, creatinine and phosphorous. These chemicals reflect kidney function. As the kidney damage developed, the dogs would produce little urine. When they could no longer produce urine, death occurred. 
Treatment can be successful with immediate medical intervention. The exact dose is not known, scientists estimate that already about 11,6 g grapes/kg weight of the dog can be dangerous.

Last Updated

The Willie Walker Pedigrees Database

Pedigrees: 168066
Pictures: 13845
registered users:

Go to the Database

Happy Birthday to

Setter Rescue


Setter Rescue - The Willie Walker Pedigrees Database
English Setter and Llewellin Setter pedigrees including pictures. We care about Setters who need our help, no matter if with or without pedigree!